December 8, 2022


Complete News World

After several hours of global downtime, services have returned to normal, “Sorry”

Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp and Messenger slowly came back online on Tuesday, with many users watching after more than six hours of blackouts, an unprecedented event for the already worst California group.

On the Downdetector site, which monitors digital service malfunctions and identified the social media company as “the biggest ever”, incident reports were mostly below midnight.

“Forgive us”

At 12:33 a.m. in Belgium, Facebook contacted: “To the largest community of people and companies around the world who depend on us: We are sorry. We have worked hard to regain access to our applications and services, and we are pleased to announce that they are now back online. Thank you for coming with us.”

Earlier, the American newspaper The New York Times announced that the team at Facebook’s data center in Santa Clara, California, had to “reset” the servers manual. The exact cause of this mega-resistance, which was seen from Brussels to Washington via Sydney, has not yet been established. Facebook exacerbates a “network problem”.

“This site is inaccessible”, “Unable to find server address”, the site reported to several users on Monday at 6 p.m.

After the first hour of silence, the services recognized the problem. “Instagram and its friends are struggling now and you may have trouble using them. Stay with us and we will take care of it,” the Instagram communications team tweeted.

Technical or cybersecurity issues that temporarily block access to sites and applications are not uncommon, but the duration and extent of this disruption of the four sites used by approximately 3.5 billion people each month makes it an incident.

“We sincerely apologize to everyone affected by the malfunction of Facebook’s operating services at this time. We have network issues and our teams are working to repair and return online as soon as possible,” Mike Schrober, Facebook’s CTO, tweeted in the evening.

The company did not respond to AFP’s requests, including rumors of several internal connectivity issues affecting employees.

According to cyber security experts, there were signs that computer paths to access Facebook’s platforms had been compromised.

“Facebook and other related sites have disappeared from the Internet in a deluge of updates to PGP,” tweeted John Graham-Cumming, chief technology officer at CloudFlare, a computer routing protocol.

AFP, co-founder of cybersecurity firm Breach Quest, emphasized his role to Jack Williams, saying “it’s amazing that Facebook has not fixed the problem (…) that needs to be fixed yet.

He also recalled that the impact of the blockade was bad for users who use social networking to access Facebook or other services where Facebook is “similar to the Internet”.

On Twitter, the platform’s misfortune caused its competitors and Facebook users to rejoice as they competed in comedy.

See also  Elizabeth II Jubilee: The Queen avoids festivities this Friday after 'discomfort'