The LIV Golf International Series has arrived, and players kicked off at 9:15 a.m. ET (2:15 p.m. local) at the start of the controversial new round. We’ll have live updates throughout the first day, so check back for more highlights, news and analysis from day one of LIV Golf.
What does a LIV broadcast look and sound like
As with any new league, there has been a lot of curiosity surrounding where and how LIV Golf will be broadcast.
In the opening match outside London, LIV Golf is broadcast on its site Our websiteYouTube and Facebook. It seems that… a golf tournament.
The presentation includes a constantly updated leaderboard on the left side of the screen, with players and their team logos. At the top left is the number of holes left, as with the start of the gun, all players finish at about the same time.
American golf fans who complain about broadcasts with plenty of commercial breaks, take note — there are no sponsorship commitments this week with the new series, and therefore no commercials. While broadcasting the opening round, there were virtually no other features or parts to grab from golf.
As for commentary, the main stall has longtime Premier League football broadcaster Arlo White, an Englishman, along with American Jerry Fultz, most recently from Golf Channel and Dom Bullitt from Hong Kong, the voice of the Asian Tour.
Dustin Double Bugis 7th Hole
Not everything is smiling at the Centurion Club. On the Par-4’s seventh hole, Dustin Johnson blew his drive out of bounds to the right and tossed his moonlight in disgust.
He made a double bogey on the hole to fall from 1 under to 1 on the round, and tied for 15th in the event.
Playing alongside Phil Mickelson – LIV Golf put their two biggest names together and started them on the first tee – Mickelson is also the first on his first professional golf since the Saudi International Championships in early February.
How does team coordination work?
One of the main selling points of the LIV Golf is the four-man team format. With 12 holes left in the round — how LIV keeps track of time with the start of the gun — the Crushers GC was ahead in 4 less.
Phachara Khongwatmai from Thailand was in 4 under, and he led the crushers as well as the entire event.
A team’s score is calculated by the team’s two best scores in the first two rounds, and the three best scores in the third and final round.
The top three teams earn shares of the $5 million prize pool, with $3 million for the first, $1.5 million for the second and $500,000 for the third among the four players. So, in theory, one player could have a poor event but three good teammates and get paid well.
So, what do they wear?
If you are just tuning in, you will notice that most players will not differ in appearance from other leagues. Dustin Johnson and Sergio Garcia, for example, wear their usual strands with the adidas logo; Garcia with an adidas hat and Johnson’s TaylorMade logo cap.
LIV golf teams are represented to players by their caddies, who have team names and logos on their jackets.
Go to follow
For Phil Mickelson, Who lost sponsors following his comments in February About the “hateful greed” of the PGA Tour and the Saudi-backed league, he wore a black hat with the Phil jump logo and a black jacket with the Augusta National Golf Club logo.
Play starts at LIV Golf Opener
The opening shot of Dustin Johnson was shown live, and he splits the pass. Grouped with DJ, Phil Mickelson also hit the right track with his opening shot at No. 1. And so begins a new golf league.
In the opening moments of the webcast, Greg Norman joined the booth and said, “I’m excited to bring free agency to golf. The start of Venice is moments away.”
Journey to the beginning of Venice
As anyone who’s ever played in a charity golf tournament or big event at their local club knows, moving the start of the gun is a controlled mess. This usually entails an army of golf carts being launched at once from the club.
LIV Golf has gone one step further by capturing a fleet of London black cabs to transport players around the Centurion Club.
LIV Golf also threw a hype video on Thursday, narrated by Dennis Quaid.
Playing times and gatherings for the first day at LIV Golf
Here are the first day’s groups, along with the new team names. Everyone will fire at the same time at the start of the gun:
- hole 1 Dustin Johnson – 4 Asses GC Scott Vincent – Smash GC Phil Mickelson – High Flyers GC
- hole 2 Sergio Garcia – Fireballs GC Talor Gooch – Torque GC Pablo Larrazabal – Cleeks GC
- 3 . hole Charles Schwarzl – Stinger GC Graeme McDowell – GC Rippers Wade Ormsby – GC Punch
- 4 . hole Sam Horsfield – Majesticks GC Sadom Kaewkanjana – Iron Heads GC Andy Ogletree – Torque GC
- 5 . hole Richard Bland – Crushers GC Ratchanon Chantananuwat (A) – Hy Flyers GC Ryosuke Kinoshita – Punch GC
- hole 6 Jediah Morgan – Fireballs GC Ian Snyman – Cleeks GC Oliver Fisher – Niblicks GC
- 7 . hole Chase Kupka – Hy Flyers GC Turk Pettit – Niblicks GC Kevin Yuan – 4 Aces GC
- hole 8 Itthipat Buranatanyarat – Smash GC Hennie Du Plessis – Stinger GC James Piot (a) – Fireballs GC
- hole 10 Jinichiro Kozuma – Smash GC Phachara Khongwatmai – Crushers GC JC Ritchie – Cleeks GC
- hole 12 David Puig (a) – Fireballs GC Oliver Bekker – 4 aces GC Viraj Madaba – Iron Heads GC
- hole 13 Peter Ohlin – Niblicks GC Adrian Otaegui – Torque GC Blake Windred – Punch GC
- hole 14 Laurie Canter – Majesticks GC Martin Kaymer – Cleeks GC Hudson Swafford – Torque GC
- hole 15 Sean Norris – 4 Aces GC Travis Smith – GC Hideto Tanihara Rippers – GC Iron Heads
- hole 16 Branden Grace – Stinger JC Sihwan Kim – Smash JC Matt Jones – Punch JC
- hole 17 Lee Westwood – Majesticks GC Bernd Wiesberger – Niblicks GC Justin Harding – Hy Flyers GC
- hole 18 Louis Oosthuizen – Stinger GC Kevin Na – Iron Heads GC Ian Poulter – Majesticks GC
What is the LIV Golf 2022 calendar?
LIV Golf made its London debut, and there will be seven more events, both in the US and abroad, during the rest of the year. Here’s the full lineup:
- June 9-11, Centurion Club, Hemel Hempstead, St Albans
- June 30 – July 2, Pumpkin Ridge Golf Club, North Plains, Ore.
- July 29-31. Trump National Golf Club, Bedminster, New Jersey
- September 2-4, International, Bolton, Massachusetts.
- September 16-18, Rich Harvest Farms, Sugar Grove, Illinois.
- October 7-9, Stonehill Golf Club, Bangkok
- October 14-16, Royal Greens Golf Club, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
- October 28-30, Trump National Doral, Miami
Show me the money!!
If the broadcast doesn’t make much clear what players will be competing for this week, here’s a quick introduction.
Of the 12 competing teams, only the top three will receive shares from the $5 million portfolio – first place splits $3 million four ways ($750,000 per player), second place splits $1.5 million ($375,000 per player) and third place Wins $500,000 ($125,000 per player).
Individually, $4 million will go to the winner, followed by $2.125 million (second), $1.5 million (third) and 1.05 million (fourth). Moreover, the twelfth place will receive 450 thousand dollars, the twenty-fourth will receive 168,000 dollars, and finally the dead will receive 120 thousand dollars.
At best, the player could earn $4.75 million on Saturday night. At worst, the player leaves with $120,000.
“Infuriatingly humble internet trailblazer. Twitter buff. Beer nerd. Bacon scholar. Coffee practitioner.”